The Grade II listed footbridge at Prudhoe station has reopened following a £500 million refurbishment project that has restored the bridge to its former glory.
Prudhoe lies on the on the Tyne Valley line, which connects Newcastle with Carlisle. The station opened in 1835 and the station buildings, which dated from 1884, were demolished in 1973. The footbridge, though, survived.
In July, Network rail closed the bridge and lifted it out in sections. These were then taken to a workshop where they were sandblasted to expose the bare metal, inspected and repaired.
The repairs were undertaken so as to preserve the historic character of the bridge and to strengthen the structure.
Once repainted, the sections were put back in place and a new floor surface installed before the bridge was reopened for passengers.
While the footbridge was out of commission, passengers could still access both platforms via the pedestrian footpath over the station’s level crossing.
Paul Rutter, Network Rail’s East Coast route director, said: “The transformation of the footbridge at Prudhoe station is astounding and it’s great that this work has been completed in keeping with its heritage.
“It’s so much more than a fresh coat of the traditional red and white paint. Our teams have looked closely at every detail and restored the bridge back to its former glory.
“We want to thank passengers for their patience whilst temporary changes were made in the station. Now the footbridge is back in place, it can be used by passengers for years to come.”